Lancster Rural Cemetery
Welcome to the website for www.GoodmanOliphant.info
You can also directly access the Oliphant family section of the site at: www.Oliphants.info
Lancaster Rural Cemetery
"This is the oldest cemetery in the Town of Lancaster with the possible exception of some private family plots. Known originally as the “center burial place”, it is located along Cemetery Road between Broadway and Erie Street. “James P Clark, who arrived in the Cayuga Creek Settlement in 1808, donated a plot of land as a burial site for the new settlers. It was destined to become the Lancaster Rural Cemetery. " , In the spring of 1808, Captain William Blackmon's son became the first burial here, even though the cemetery was not incorporated until 1866. Until that time, James Clark kept a diary in which he recorded the burials. He maintained a list of the descedents’ name, date of death, age, cause of death (eg. “dropped dead in the street”), and even some interesting notes about some of the burials such as the fact that the person was a Revolutionary War veteran or had fought in the War of 1812. “In 1866, Alexander Hitchcock urged that a cemetery association be formed, more land purchased, and its upkeep guaranteed. At a meeting called in the Presbyterian Church, a committee was appointed and a fund established to which Mr. Hitchcock immediately donated $1,000. He also gave it its present name. ", The original portion of the cemetery is along Cemetery Road. It is distinguished by an old iron fence, a grid pattern of roads and a beautiful grove of large, mature trees. Among the oldest trees are sugar maples and red maples. Closer to Erie Street are many large Norway maples. Many of the large evergreen trees (Norway Spruce) were planted at the corners of family plots. In the late 1950’s the original cemetery was greatly increased in size with the purchase of land running south from the old cemetery to Broadway. This doubled the size of the cemetery and provided for thousands of additional gravesites. Burials are memorialized in a variety of ways. In the old section there are many beautiful monuments. These are also being placed in the new portion as well. In addition, the new area has sections designated for flat memorials. The only mausoleum is in the old section close to Cemetery Road. It was built for the family of the late New York State Senator, George Davis. Several years ago, the Lancaster Rural Cemetery built the large rectangular blocks, known as columbaria, near the Broadway entrance for cremated remains. Perhaps the most unusual grave site is that of the Bagley family. Their “mound-like” grave was used to bury four daughters who died within a few years of one another during the 1830's. The family, gave its name to Bagley Road (also known as Baglery Road), now known as Pavement Road. The remains of the girls have been removed from the mound grave. Other monuments in the oldest section belong to many of the families who first settled in Lancaster and who founded the community.
Read More About Lancaster Rural Cem.
Read More About Lancaster Rural Cem.
Lancaster Rural Cemetery
70 Cemetery Rd, Lancaster, NY
Where the Lancaster, NY
Oliphants Began in Canada
Peter W. Oliphant (1762-1846) settled in Halton County, Ontario,
Canada, before the War of 1812.
His eldest son, Aron/Aaron Oliphant (1788-1868), [by Peter's first wife: Anna Maria "Mary" Krebs / Cripps], had migrated before his parents and the rest of the family, arriving in Halton County about 1806. Aaron Oliphant served in the British military in the War of 1812.
Peter W. Oliphant and some other family members re-located to Clarkson (now part of Mississauga), Peel County, Ontario. Many Oliphant family members are buried in Springcreek Cemetery in Clarkson.
Aaron Oliphant and some of his family, remained in Halton County, ON, owning property in various locations.
Read More About Aaron Oliphant
Read More About Oliphant Property
Read More About Oliphants in Directories
Read More About Oliphant's Swamp
Birth: Feb. 17, 1788
Bucks County Pennsylvania, USA
Death: Aug. 29, 1868
Aron Oliphant`s correct given name was Aaron. His gravestone in Springcreek Cemetery states his name as Aron.
for the Estate of
September 14, 1868
(Milton, ON), 17 Sep 1868, p. 3
Duncan Oliphant was Aaron's son.
Read More About Aaron Oliphant
Aaron Oliphant was married three times. In 1806 he married Catherine Hendershot (1779-1848).
Catherine Hendershot was born on 05 JAN 1779 in Tewksbury,
Hunterdon, New Jersey, USA. She died on 24 FEB 1848 in Clarkson,
Peel, Ontario, Canada (Age: 69). She married Aaron Oliphant on 03
APR 1806. He was born on 17 FEB 1788 in Bucks, Pennsylvania, USA. He
died on 29 AUG 1868 in Toronto Twp., Peel County, Ontario, Canada.
Descendants of Jacob Hendershott
by Len Hendershott
Aaron and Catherine (Hendershot) Oliphant
had eight children. Their son, Isaac Oliphant (1824-1894), married
Catharine Cochrane / Corcoran (1823-1909). Isaac and Catharine
(Cochrane) Oliphant had four children.
Their son, Edward Oliphant was born in Oakville, Halton County, Ontario, Canada in 1861. Edward died on December 24, 1940, at 16 Highland Place, Lancaster, Erie County, NY.
16 Highland Place, Lancaster, NY
Edward & Henrietta (Peacock) Oliphant
Edward Oliphant married
Henrietta ('Etta') Peacock (1866-1944) on June 24, 1885, in Glanford, Wentworth County, ON.
Edward and Henrietta (Peacock) Oliphant had a son, Norman Edward Oliphant (1886-1952), born October 15, 1886, in Toronto Township, Peel County Ontario.
Sometime about the year 1900, Edward and Henrietta (Peacock) Oliphant and their son, Norman Edward Oliphant, moved to New York State, where Norman Edward Oliphant married Mary / Marie Olive Goode (1885-1960) of Mount Morris, Livingston County, NY. Norman Edward Oliphant and Mary Olive Goode were married on November 16, 1906.
Norman Edward Oliphant and Mary Olive (Goode) Oliphant had six children and one adopted child: Charlotte Ruth Oliphant (1907-2000) and Hattie Bell Oliphant (1908-1986) were born in NY State. The family then moved to Erie County, Pennsylvania, where Franklin Oliphant (1917-?), Dorothy M. Oliphant (1918-2012), and Ruby Grace Oliphant (1921-1989) were born in Cory, Erie County, PA. The family next moved to Lancaster, Erie County, NY (where Norman's parents, Edward and Henrietta lived), where they had Ethel Mae Oliphant (1923-1994) and adopted Harold Oliphant (1927-?). Harold is identified as a son of Hattie Bell Oliphant.
Some of the Oliphant family is buried in Lancaster Rural Cemetery, Lancaster, Erie County, NY.
Some of the Marriages of
Norman and Mary (Goode) Oliphant's
Charlotte Ruth (Oliphant) Mildenberger
Charlotte Ruth Oliphant (1907-2000), married Frank Mildenberger and lived in Lancaster, NY. (see the Obituary in the next column).
Hattie Bell (Oliphant) Carlson
Hattie Bell Oliphant (1908-1986) married Paul S. Carlson
(1898-1981). Hattie and Paul lived in Endicott, Broome County, NY
and are buried there in Riverhurst Cemetery. Hattie Bell (Oliphant)
Carlson is identified as the mother of Harold L. Oliphant. (see
Wedding Notices in next column). Harold L. Oliphant married Jennie
Tribol July 17, 1948, in Endicott, NY. Harold L. and Jennie (Tribol)
Oliphant live in Endicott, NY with a Susan Oliphant (a daughter?).
Dorothy Mae (Oliphant) Haaf
Dorothy M. Oliphant (1918-2012) married Elmer Haaf and had two children. (see Obituary in the next column).
Norman Franklin & Agnes Oliphant of Ohio
Norman Franklin Oliphant, son of Norman Edward Oliphant and Mary /
Marie Olive (Goode) Oliphant, was born September 21, 1916 in PA, but
his family moved to Lancaster, Erie County, NY, where his
grandparents (Edward Oliphant & Henrietta (Peacock) Oliphant lived.
He appears in the 1920, 1930, and 1940 US Census, living with his
parents, in Lancaster, NY.
At some point after the 1940 Census, he moved out of New York State to Ohio. He appears in records of Ohio, including the obituary of his wife, Agnes Oliphant. Norman F. Oliphant returned to New York State sometime after his divorce from Agnes (Divorced on August 19, 1987: in Ashtabula County, OH). He is recorded as residing in Depew, Erie County, NY on January 1, 1998.
Agnes M. (Wood) Oliphant
Oliphant, Agnes M. Oliphant, nee Wood
The Ashtabula [Ohio] Star;
2 Jan 1995
ASHTABULA -- Agnes M. Oliphant, 82, of East 26th Street, died Friday, Dec. 30, 1994, at Country Club Retirement Center.
She was born Jan. 31, 1912, in East Trumbull, the daughter of Jerry and Ethel Bean Wood. She was a lifetime area resident.
Mrs. Oliphant was employed at Industrial Rayon in Painesville and as a cook at several local restaurants. She retired in 1965.
Her hobbies included sewing, knitting, flower gardening and crocheting.
Survivors include three sons, James W. White of Monroe Township, Lynn L. White of Santa Barbara, Calif. and Jack F. White of Ashtabula; four daughters, Evelyn Cinciarelli of Oceanside, Calif., Carol Stiles of North Kingsville, Sandra Newsome of Ashtabula and Edna Phillips of Muskogee, Okla.; one sister, Marjorie H. Chapin of Pierpont; one brother, Alton Wood, of Kelloggsville; 19 grandchildren; and 27 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents, her first husband, Corneal N. White, her second husband, Norman Oliphant, a daughter, Betty Mae White, twin infant grandchildren,* Robert and Roberta, and two sisters, Mable Arnett and Wilma I. Hall.
Funeral will be 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Jack W. Ross Funeral Home Inc., 526 Prospect Road, Ashtabula, with the Rev. Lawrence English of Pentecostal Holiness Church officiating. Burial will be in Greenlawn Memory Gardens, North Kingsville.
Calling hours will be Tuesday from 1 to 2 at the funeral home. *Submitter's Note: Robert and Roberta were children of Corneal and Agnes, not grandchildren. Their death certificates say they were born prematurely (7 1/2 months' gestation) on May 26, 1931, and that Roberta died that day and Robert on May 29th.
Norman F. & Agnes M. Oliphant:
Divorce of Norman Oliphant and Agnes M.
Norman Oliphant and Agnes M were married. They got divorced on August 19, 1987 in Ashtabula County, Ohio.
Divorce of Norman Oliphant and Agnes M Ohio Department of Health Ohio Divorce Index, 1959-2010. Record count: 2,016,754. Ohio Department of Health. http://www.odh.ohio.gov/vs. Volume Number: 6017